MN COLD WEATHER RULE & ENERGY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM NOTICE
In accordance with Minnesota’s Cold Weather Rule, electric service cannot be disconnected for nonpayment between Oct. 1 and April 30 if electricity is the primary heat source and ALL of the following statements apply:
· Your household income is at or below 50% of the state median household income. Income may be verified on forms provided by Traverse Electric Cooperative or by the local energy assistance provider.
· You enter into and make reasonable timely payments under a payment agreement that considers the financial resources of the household.
· You receive referrals to energy assistance, weatherization, conservation, or other programs likely to reduce your energy bills from Traverse Electric Cooperative.
MINNESOTA’S COLD WEATHER RULE DOES NOT COMPLETELY STOP WINTER DISCONNECTS.
Before disconnecting electric service to residential members between Oct. 1 and April 30, Traverse Electric Cooperative must provide:
· A 30-day notice of disconnection;
· A statement of members’ rights and responsibilities;
· A list of local energy assistance providers;
· Forms on which to request Cold Weather Rule protection; and
· A statement explaining available payment plans and other options to continue service.
ENERGY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
The Energy Assistance Program (EAP) is a federally funded program though the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, which helps low-income renters and homeowners pay for home heating costs and furnace repairs. Household income must be at or below 60% of the state median income ($65,964 for a family of four) to qualify for benefits. Applications must be received or postmarked by May 31, 2022.
To learn more about the EAP program or to apply for assistance:
· Visit the Minnesota Department of Commerce Energy Assistance website, https://mn.gov/commerce/consumers/consumer-assistance/energy-assistance/, for more details and to access the application portal.
· Contact your county EAP service provider for additional information and assistance.
· For Wilkin, Traverse, Grant, Stevens Counties: West Central MN Communities Actions, Elbow Lake, MN. Email: email@example.com, 800-492-4805, https//wcmca.org/program-area/energy-assistance/ · For Big Stone County: Prairie Five Community Action, Montevideo, MN. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, 800-292-5437 or 320-839-211 (Ortonville Office), https://prairiefive.org/programs/energy-assistance/
Traverse Electric Cooperative is dedicated to the people and communities we serve. If you are having difficulty paying your electric bill and do not qualify for either of these programs, please contact Karen Lupkes at Traverse Electric Cooperative at 800-927-5443 to set up a payment plan.
*This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer.